Monday, August 26, 2019

Why people block you on LinkedIn?



Have you ever faced it?
I have, a few times in recent years. Most recent is when a President Corporate Strategy and BD at a large Indian Corporate Group blocked me. I had been following him for a year or so.
He is a popular name on college campuses for his lectures. I respect his views and his candidness. He truly inspires and he questions many conventional idiocy, publicly and that makes him popular among those who challenge even the sacrosanct and this includes me!
Recently he was lecturing at an IIM down south and he shared on LinkedIn his lecture as an article. In that article he mentioned about a lady he hired recently from an ISB recently and he praised her for questioning even the senior management leaders at meetings, at this Indian conglomerate, in matters of business and strategy. I don't know what was his intent when he mentioned her name too, but what worried me was this: "how would a senior management guy take her questioning when she has just new (less than a year and maybe interning or on probation) at this conglomerate and she questions top business leaders. I looked at her LinkedIn profile to find that she had worked as a relationship executive and as Assistant Manager at a large hotel prior to her ISB diploma.
My worry was that, if those senior leaders read this speech/article by their President Business Strategy and BD, what would they assume? I asked the same in the comments to his article and marked the ISB lady too. Lady responded that She is new but she is passionate about her job, etc. Mr.President did not respond but blocked me on LinkedIn.
An ex-CHRO of Cipla did the same, when I questioned him that why his talent world view is so narrow: 1. Why he always hired in his team, the Chief Talent Officer, Chief of L&D, Director of HR for Ukraine (This guy was doing the same role at a Hyderabad based Pharma company, when this CHRO had hired him some 7 years ago) and many other roles, all from his previous company colleagues and why his two Chief Talent Officers, despite knowing each other so well left in 6 to 10 months of their stint? #clubculture, #coterie
2. Why his Social Media Hiring , Chief of Recruitment maintained two separate LinkedIn profiles (not allowed by LinkedIn) and why she ha mentioned in her profile, the email address of her recruitment consultancy and not of Cipla?
Result: He blocked me!
This is my experience and the difference that I see between Indian Managers/leaders and Outsiders, on being asked tough questions is that, they may not respond back, but they would not delete your comment or block you!
Why are Indian managers so insecure or so much full of ego or so intolerant? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moonlighting and hypocrisy of corporate India..

  MOONLIGHTING CHECKS? WITHOUT FORENSIC TECH AND REGULATIONS? ARE YOU KIDDING US? 5.4 million people work in IT/ITES in India, churning $180...