Skip to main content

Stoic practices and modern-day corporate coaching---the ageless connection

 In fact, much of what we now call executive coaching, resilience, self-regulation, cognitive reframing and values-based leadership has striking parallels with Stoic practice—although modern coaching should not simply be relabeled Stoicism.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Stoicism → modern coaching

The central Stoic question was not "How do I control what happens?" but rather:

"Given what has happened, what remains within my agency—and how should I respond?"

That is remarkably close to the heart of good coaching.

Stoic principleCoaching equivalentCorporate application
Dichotomy of control — distinguish what you control from what you don'tCircle of influence; locus of controlRestructuring, difficult bosses, market changes, missed promotions
Examine your judgmentsCognitive reframing / CBT-style questioning"My boss rejected my idea" ≠ "My boss doesn't value me"
Virtue over external rewardValues-based coachingIntegrity and purpose rather than title, bonus or applause
Premeditatio malorum — anticipate difficultiesScenario planning"What could derail this project, and how will I respond?"
The obstacle becomes material for actionGrowth mindset / solution-focused coachingTurning failure, conflict or rejection into learning
Negative visualizationPerspective and gratitudeAppreciating resources and relationships before taking them for granted
View from aboveSystems thinking / perspective takingSeeing beyond one's function, ego or immediate conflict
Memento moriPurpose and prioritisation"Given limited time, what actually deserves my attention?"
Journaling/self-examinationReflective practiceLeadership journals, after-action reviews
Pause between event and responseEmotional regulationResponding rather than reacting under pressure

There is a particularly useful coaching model hiding inside this.

The Stoic coaching chain

I would express it as:

EVENT → JUDGMENT → EMOTION → CHOICE → ACTION → REFLECTION

Imagine a manager saying:

"My CEO criticised my presentation in front of everybody. I was furious."

A conventional conversation might focus on what the CEO did.

A Stoic-informed coach becomes curious about the space between the event and the reaction.

Event: CEO criticised the presentation.
Judgment: "He deliberately humiliated me."
Emotion: anger, embarrassment.
Impulse: defend myself or withdraw.
Choice: pause and investigate.
Action: seek feedback, distinguish substance from style, decide what requires addressing.
Reflection: "What can I learn—and what behaviour from the CEO, if any, should I constructively challenge?"

That distinction is important because Stoicism doesn't have to mean passive acceptance.

Marcus Aurelius and the leadership of self

Marcus Aurelius is especially interesting for corporate leadership because Meditations wasn't written as a management book. It was largely a private exercise in reminding himself how he wanted to behave while carrying enormous responsibility.

That makes his philosophy unusually relevant to leaders.

The sequence becomes:

Before I manage others → can I manage myself?

Before asking:

"Why isn't my team performing?"

the leader might ask:

"What am I contributing to this situation?"

Before:

"Why won't people listen to me?"

ask:

"How well am I listening?"

Before:

"Why is everyone resisting change?"

ask:

"Have I created sufficient meaning, clarity and psychological safety around the change?"

This is where Stoicism becomes powerful coaching rather than philosophy.

Seneca brings another dimension

Seneca repeatedly explored our relationship with time, anxiety, anger, wealth, status and adversity.

One particularly contemporary coaching question inspired by Seneca would be:

"Are you actually overwhelmed—or are you spending your attention on too many things that don't deserve it?"

Think about today's senior manager: 200 emails, Teams messages, WhatsApp groups, dashboards, meetings, escalations and constant notifications.

We describe the problem as time management.

Seneca might challenge the premise:

Perhaps the deeper problem is attention management.

And a coach might consequently ask:

"Of everything consuming you this week, what genuinely deserves your attention?"

That's a much deeper question than constructing another to-do list.

Epictetus may be even more useful for coaching

Epictetus puts agency at the centre.

Suppose a manager says:

"My team is disengaged."

Instead of immediately solving it, I might draw two circles.

OUTSIDE MY CONTROL

Economic environment
Competitor behaviour
Past decisions
Another person's personality
Corporate restructuring
What people ultimately think of me

WITHIN MY AGENCY

How clearly I communicate
Questions I ask
Whether I listen
Feedback I provide
Promises I keep
How I behave under pressure
Where I direct my attention
What I do tomorrow morning

Then comes a wonderful coaching question:

"How much of your emotional energy is currently being spent in the first circle rather than the second?"

That can produce a surprisingly powerful moment of insight.


But there is one major caution

I would not teach corporate Stoicism as "control your emotions."

That's a common distortion.

Imagine telling someone experiencing a toxic manager, discrimination, unreasonable workload or genuine organisational injustice:

"You can't control it, so control your response."

That can turn Stoicism into a tool for organisational compliance.

Good coaching needs another question:

"What is within your control—including your ability to speak up, influence, establish boundaries, seek support, escalate, negotiate or leave?"

Stoicism should increase agency, not encourage helplessness.

And this is where modern psychology adds something that ancient Stoicism didn't have: psychological safety, trauma understanding, organisational systems, unconscious bias, interpersonal dynamics and empirical behavioural science.


I think Stoicism and coaching meet at one profound point

Coaching is often misunderstood as helping people find answers.

At its deeper level, it helps people improve the quality of the internal conversation from which their answers emerge.

Marcus Aurelius essentially practised this repeatedly in Meditations.

And that connects beautifully with the Venturi quotation you brought up earlier:

"I don't have to become better than everyone else. I have to become better than I thought I could be."

The Stoic addition would perhaps be:

And becoming better begins when I stop demanding that the world behave according to my wishes and start examining the quality of my own judgments, choices and actions.

For your work with mid-level managers, I can see a particularly interesting synthesis emerging: Stoicism + OSKAR/GROW + CBT + psychological safety + reflective leadership. That could become a distinctive 6–8 session coaching framework rather than another generic leadership-development programme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is The Hay Group Total Reward Framework

The Hay Group Total Reward Framework A new way of understanding reward Reward strategies must be anchored in business reality to be effective. Which means linking it to your business strategy – and the needs of your employees as well as your organisation. Our Total Reward Framework helps you optimise reward, no matter how challenging the conditions. The issue Remuneration tends to be one of the worst-managed parts of an organisation’s cost structure. But with 10-70 per cent of total costs wrapped up in it, reward cannot be ignored, particularly in a downturn. To be effective, reward programmes must reflect the needs of the business, now and in the future. Only if they are tied closely to company strategy, business performance and the needs of employees can reward programmes deliver the ROI that is needed in tough times[MK1] . The Hay Group Total Reward Framework takes strategy as a starting point – and it focuses on total reward: every financial measure together with no...

Aon Hewitt Total Rewards Framework

Aon Hewitt Total Rewards Framework The Aon Hewitt model and approach believes in considering Total Rewards as a business tool and very much linked to overall business objectives! Reward as understood is a very complex mechanism and some efforts of correcting the base pay and titling in a hurry by many MNCs in India have done a bigger crime by trying to correct it by market adjustments without looking at the talent map, complexity and expectations out of role and mapping it against the benchmark. Titles in India are a big misnomer and hardly any survey on compensation ever probes and captures and calibrates the tangible outcome based bench marking! If we dive deep, we will find that the key factors of Education, Experience and Quality of Education, Quality and relevance of experience and education are not calculated granular! A diploma holder technical manager gets the salary benchmarked for the top T-school manager with top quality experience in a challenging and break-through...

CORPORATE CULTURE AND FIVE STAGES OF ASSIMILATION

If the study of culture has a predominant guru, it would be Edgar H Schein , Professor Emeritus at MIT. Schein, who has studied the elements of culture for over half a century has a simple there-layer model for understanding corporate culture (Schein, 2009). The three levels are: ü   1.  Artifacts. These are made up of visible structures, processes and behavior. Easy to observe, artifacts are the outermost layer. ü   2.  Espoused values. These are the strategies and philosophies at play. They include what people focus on and ‘how things get done around here’. ü   3.  Underlying assumptions. These are the unconscious beliefs and perceptions rooted in the history of the business. This innermost layer is built through collective experiences including past successes and failures. Corporate culture is as powerful as it is multifaceted. The best way to understand it is to experience it first-hand. Be immersed in both the explicit behavior and implici...